Saturday 2 November 2013

K-Drama: 'White Christmas' review [No Spoilers]

I watched White Christmas in July this year (quite a funny time to watch a drama set around Christmas but it didn't affect the mood). I wrote a little review of it afterwards with zero amount of spoilers. It's basically my feelings on the drama with a rating out of 5 at the end.
Anyway, I forgot all about this rating until I was surfing through my files today so I'm uploading it now.
You may already be interested in this drama is you like model/actors like Kim Woobin, Lee Soohyuk, Hong Jonghyun, Bang Sungjoon, Kim Young Kwang. They're all in this.

Enjoy! :)



Starring:
Kim Sang Kyung
Baek Sung Hyun
Kim Young Kwang
Lee Soo Hyuk
Kwak Jung Wook
Hong Jong Hyun
Esom
Kim Woobin
Sung Joon
Jung Suk Won
Lee El

Sypnosis:
In the mountains of Gangwando, there is a prestigious private high school named Soo-Sin. The school is located in an isolated area and all the students and staff stay in dormitories. The students at Soo-Sin comprise of the top 0.1% of all the students in South Korea.
In order to get into Soo-Sin, students must prepare from elementary school. It is even harder to get into than Seoul National University. Because of this, students at Soo-Sin must compete fiercely and study even on weekends. Their only vacation days are the 8 days from Christmas Eve to the first day of the new year. During this time, the students and faculty leave the school. The school becomes empty.
On December 24, 2010, a bus full of students leaves the school. Diligent honor student Park Moo-Yul (Baek Sung-Hyun) stays behind because of a letter a received a couple of days ago. The letter is full of hate and states they will die, but leave a curse on Park Moo-Yul. At the school, only 7 students stay behind...

Review:
Let me warn you now, you heart will ache and your mind will tire from watching this drama. This is the first drama that has honestly made me want to watch episode after episode even though it wasn't doing me any good. Despite there only being eight episodes, each character held a special place in my heart in the blink of an eye because the story is so fast paced and each character has their own individuality that makes you want to protect them and the most heartbreaking thing is that anyone one of them could die at any moment, and later on in the drama any one of them could die by any one of them because the list potential murderers expands.
I barely sat on the edge of my seat and I bit my nails until there was nothing left of them. I squealed and gasped and covered my eyes too many times. I paused the drama in a high intensity moment screaming that I would not watch any more of it. I don’t know if everyone who has watched this has had the same experience as me as watching it but I don’t see how anyone could not. It got too much at times but I kept watching. I don’t even know how. It was heartbreaking in one moment but elating in the next. How could the writer have messed so much with the audience like that?
I must say, White Christmas was absolutely amazing. I have never seen any other Korean drama like it and I don’t think I ever will. The way it was written was genius; there was a lot of thought put into the characters and the way the storyline all came together. It makes you think. It makes you think about how someone could be so obsessive; how a normal person could become a monster; what it takes; how much can one endure. The high school students were all very strong and smart in my opinion. I can’t imagine myself being in their shoes.

Overall rating: 5 out of 5


cr: asianwiki.com

No comments:

Post a Comment